Our recent auction buy was this antique, possibly Edwardian Bergere sofa. It has woven rattan sides and back. The base is upholstered and there are four cushions. Actually it is very comfortable, however the base needs support. As you can see by the photo, once stripped of it’s velvet cover and padding what is remaining isn’t very good. Believe it or not, ripping off the velvet cover and padding took me three hours (with a few coffee breaks) in Maria’s workshop.
I’ve now got to do a plan for the size of cushions, measure the base and calculate the metres of fabric required. Then I’ve got the wonderful job of finding a cosy, dog friendly fabric which will be hard wearing and look good of course next to the wool plaid armchair I’m also reupholstering (see the last post).